12 October 2008

Recycled Squash

VSC has a penchant for recycling. So I shouldn't have been surprised when taco night became burrito night two days later. These burritos were kind of funny...I don't think real Mexican food exists in the great state of Vermont. They had Monterrey Jack, black beans, and (wait for it) acorn squash seasoned with cinnamon and brown sugar (also left over from a previous dinner). I appreciated the fresh avocados laid out prettily for us to tong onto our plates, and the sour cream with green chunks (parsley?) was lovely the second time around, too. Still, the result was sweet and not at all Mexican-like. The burritos came with corn on the cob and lemon cake. Funny, right?

The mistake of the poorly designed tortilla was not repeated. The burrito wraps were nicely browned, and not a drip fell onto my Vermont garage sale outfit.

I'm getting sick of all the French-y food. Someone, for the love of all that is holy and good, take me out for a real pizza (or burrito) when I get back.

On the other hand, the chef took me for a nice drive through the wilderness today to gaze upon mountains, foliage, waterfalls, and cemeteries in the middle of nowhere. Beautiful. Gorgeous. I might be able to live without real burritos if it means I can live inside all this prettiness. But mama needs money and a J-O-B, so we'll shelf the pipe dream for the time being.

1 comment:

Mo Daviau said...

Cortney used "tong" as a verb.